Monday, August 1, 2011

Another sad first, and a vote of confidence for cultural transferability

I forgot a heartbreaking first yesterday; a funeral procession...for a baby. I suppose it was the father carrying the little bundle, followed by 35-40 men all dressed in white, walking as a group down the side of the road, but our driver confirmed the worst. "The baby died." I'd hoped it was a christening, but no. And where were the women? The driver spoke broken english, but spoke clearly that women don't come for the burial. "The men take care of it." Can you imagine?

Tonight was the worst traffic jam we've ever witnessed. "Special market night" Goats, cows, bikes, people, dogs, water buffalo, motorbikes, and oh yeah, thousands of cars jammed the streets, all in each other's way. I decided it was a fine time to close my eyes. Surely someone would die, and I didn't want to see it. But, only a bumped mirror on our vehicle. The driver could have called my bluff, "You think you could drive in this?" "Oh yeah" I said. He gestured to the wheel. "I don't have a license for India" I said. But honestly, I would like to try.

One of our greatest joys came on this last day. We shared w/ a group of new friends about a process to heal, strengthen and protect relationships, and they excitedly proclaimed that it is simple, clear, powerful, and culturally transferable. That is a huge exciting relief! We so want to be practically helpful to them.

Tomorrow begins the long journey home. We'll arise about 1130pm your time on Monday, and if all goes well, we'll walk into our home in Ohio about noon on Wednesday. During that time we'll exercise, have breakfast, drive to airport in Indore, fly to Mumbai, wait 8 hours for flight to Newark, NJ (15 hour flight: approx. 2-3 movies, two meals, four naps, 8 visits to the restroom; sometimes for purpose, and sometimes to stretch, four albums on the ipod, one audiobook and multiple conversations with Jill), then wait 3 hours till flight to Dayton...we are looking forward to being HOME!

Maybe another entry in the morning, and maybe not. After being home I'll write personal email to all who signed up to follow this blog, plus other interested and supportive friends. If your group would like a presentation on our trip, we have great pics, and some great ideas for the future!

blessings, Jeff and Jill

1 comment:

  1. Hey bubba--excited to read about all of your experiences! I'll be in spfld in November for a couple of days and we'll have to get together.

    ReplyDelete